In his own words, Stan’s journey goes like this:
I started my running adventure in 1981 with local area runs. In 1982 I embarked in the BRRC training program at Peerce’s on Saturday mornings for the upcoming Maryland Marathon. However, that December morning we were snowed out, so we were put off until April with more cooperative weather.
Now 38 years later and 900 runs under my belt, it is still a kick to run with great people even as I embrace the challenge of age.
- I have run every distance from 1 mile to 100 miles. I have completed 40 ultras, 100 marathons, with at least one in every state, and in 3 continents.
- 60 marathons with finishing times between 3:09 and 3:30
- 2007 Zoo Zoom 5 miler in a time of 39:14 (68 years old/7:54 pace)
- 2014 GPS Meet of Miles at age 75 ran 7:57.
- 2015 GPS 8 Miler at age 76 ran 71:29 (7:56 pace)
- 2019 GPS/Club Challenge ran 1:43:54 as an 80-year-old
- 2017 Annapolis 10 Mile finish in 1:38:27 at age 78
Some of the highlights of my running career are:
- Finisher in the Western States 100 miler (1994)
- Rock n Roll Grand Prix age group winner (2014 and 2015)
- Finisher Comrades in S. Africa (1999)
- Multi-year finisher in Boston, NY City and Marine Corp marathons
- BRRC GPS Winners circle for age group winner
- I have been a member of the following clubs:
- 100 Marathon Club of N. America
- Marathon Maniacs
- 50 States Marathon Club
- 50 States Marathon Group USA
- Volunteer as race director/administrator for
- LTRCR 5K Turkey Trot (7 years)
- Baltimore County Public School Employees Run and Walk (8 years)
- BRRC Volunteer
Stan is retired from the Baltimore County school system where he was Vice Principal at Towson High School. At age 80, his days are spent running and travelling the world with his wife, Paulette.